Search This Blog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

#10 - Bump in the Night

I quickly turned the lock upon my entrance door with shaking, sweat-slick fingers.  The noise of the mechanism gave me a bit of comfort.  My chest heaved as I pressed my hot back against the wood.  A squeal rang out, piercing my eardrums and causing my nerves to spike once more.  I strained my eyes in the pitch blackness of the room while shoving myself away from the wall.  Had the sound been inside or out?  I watched for a few more tense moments, my face scrunching together in a squint. 
Ba-dum
“Who's there?!” I shouted, the sound of my own voice granting me fleeting strength.
Several moments of silence followed, my ears steadily growing accustomed to the subtle, rhythmic sound of my quickened breath.  Something caught my eye, causing my head to turn instantly.  Wavy light spilled from the curtains of the front window, casting uneven and bleached shadows upon the carpet.  The shadows were moving in slow, sloth-like patterns. 
Squeeee!
Where was that noise coming from?!  I took several retaliatory steps away from the window, placing  my body behind my recliner in the center of the room.  More of that unforgiving, harsh silence filled the room.  My heart felt as though it willed to burst from my chest.

I could only watch in horror as something began taking place.  Dark liquid began pooling at the base of my front door, steadily growing in size.  It had the unmistakable look of blood.
Thump-thump-thump-thump
“Leave me alone!” I cried out, my lip trembling in fear, “You are not welcome here!”
A sharp, rapping sound upon my window caused me to recoil back to my recliner. 
SqueeeeEEEEE!
The noise grew deafeningly loud.  I remained huddled behind the shielding of the furniture, one arm propped over my head.  Ringing noises began filling my ears then, the entire room in a state of chaos.  I chanced a glance upward to see the pool beneath the door was rapidly filling the room.  I watched as the door began shuddering as an unknown force was pushing upon the other side.
Thump-thump-thump-squeeeeee
“Evil spirits, begone from this place!” I called out, “The power of Christ compelles-”
“Perkins...”
It knows my name?!  I heard it call from somewhere behind me.  Although I willed my body to turn, my feet remained planted where they were. 
“PERKINS!”
The voice matched the volume of my own blaring, fear-stricken scream.  I fled from the room in a panicked sprint, reaching for a handrail while attempting to avoid the large puddle of blood that lay at the foot of the staircase.  Upon my approaching the front door, the pounding upon the wood intensified many fold.

“You are the next in the long line of my victims, Perkins!”
A roar of hushed laughter rang out around the group of teens that crowded about the doorway of their Physical Education teacher, Mr. Perkins.  The three of them were dressed in long black robes, mirroring the jubilant array of costumes that people wore as they traversed up and down the streets with jangling candy buckets at their grinning sides.
“All right, Josh, I think we've done enough,” came the voice of his girlfriend, Robin.
At this, he allowed a hearty chuckle escape his lips.
“Just a few microphones and water?  Is it really that easy to scare this old bat?” he asked in rhetoric while taking a triumphant step from the doorway.
“Cmon, let's go see if anyone's willing to give candy to us,” the third boy called out, his smile worn proudly upon his face.
“Is that the best idea for you, Josh?” a high-pitched, needling hiss suddenly filled his ears, causing him to drop his flashlight, “You could catch a death of a cold out this late...”     

No comments:

Post a Comment