Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

#9 - A Lady and Her Jewels

My outstretched fingers expertly slid between the panes of glass that sheltered my ultimate prize. 
“Hyde, you have to get out,” I heard a voice in my earpiece, “The area is too hot!  I’m not sure how much longer I can-“
“Jekyl, we aren’t leaving without this in my hand,” I shot back with acidity, “We have time.  We calculated these results to happen.”
No sooner had I finished my whispering sentence that I was jarred by a blaring alarm that began tearing through the silent, decorated room.  Without stealth as an option, I merely twisted my hand away and thrust my elbow at the weak glass before me.  It shattered easily, causing the thing inside to shimmer ever brighter.  I heard a loud clunking noise behind me.  The door had automatically locked.
“Jekyl, override the lock on B22 entrance!” I shouted over the deafening siren.
“Hy-…can-…jus-…reach the-…escape!” came my response.
They can jam our radios?  How did we not see that? I thought while looking about the room for a potential exit. 
Six years of study; it was not going to end like this.

I sprinted to the large, ornately crafted wooden door on the opposite side of the room.  I tried the handle without the faintest budge.  With a sigh of frustration, I reached into one of my many pockets that were laden upon my coat.  I quickly squashed a glob of plastic explosive on the handle while jabbing the electric detonator into place.  I took a few running steps backward, then slammed on the button.  The door rocked forward with a loud boom, paving the way to my escape.
“Jekyl, if you can hear me, I’m running down corridor B16,” I screamed over the noise around me and my own burning lungs, “I need immediate pickup-“
“Freeze, we will shoot you!” a commanding sound echoed through the hall, “We know who you are, Mrs. Hyde!”
“Shit!” I cursed, the sound lost beneath the overbearing might of the alarm.
Gunfire rang out behind me.  I quickly ducked behind a large stone pillar, my chest heaving with exhaustion.  I waited a few tense moments, then dove out and began running once more.  The corridor exit loomed before me, allowing my feet to feel numb beneath me.  Without thinking about what I was doing, I reached back into my coat, pulling out two more objects.  While cradling one in each hand, I reached for a metallic pin on the top with my two thumbs and pulled.
5….4….3...
A bullet punched at an area on the wall scarcely an inch from the back of my head.  I pushed my tired legs to the limit while forcing my mind to keep a steady tempo.
2…1…
I was at the door.  Footsteps were heard from behind and echoed above me. 
0…
I simultaneously threw the first object behind me, the second at the large, imposing door.  I was immediately blanketed in ringing explosion, my vision completely obscured in blackened smoke.  I ran forward, wasting no additional time as I felt the cool night air whip through my hair.  I reached into my pocket, feeling the hard lump of fortune lurking just beneath the surface of my coat.  I couldn’t help but let out a long, hard laugh.  We had done it.  Six years had never felt quite like this.
“Hyde!  Get in!” I heard Jekyl call out to my left.
I whipped my head up in response to see a large, blue-toned van spanning before me, it's side door comfortingly opened wide.  I ran to the vehicle while pushing my feet down hard on the concrete to dive into the opening.  I slammed the door shut behind me as I collided into Jekyl's pale, lank frame.
“You really didn't have to do that, Sam,” the voice of our driver called out with a hearty chuckle.
I merely shrugged while pulling the object of our long affections into view.  I felt the car jostle a bit as I knew he had taken his attention away to gawk at it.
“I'm allowed to be a little dramatic now, can't I?” I replied back with a beaming, satisfied smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment