Search This Blog

Sunday, September 19, 2010

#4 - Zombies!

“Roy,  left!” came a panicked, feminine voice, causing my adrenaline to surge.
My head turned quickly to the writhing, bloody mass of an attacker that was currently gnashing it's rotted teeth in my direction.  With a heavily booted foot and muster of strength I stomped down, causing the threat to grow lax and plummet to the ground.  I wheeled around to see my two comrades.  Nikky (whom insisted on being called Nichole) was standing to my right, a bloody golfing wood clutched in her trembling hands.  Another one of them managed to pull himself to our position, causing her to pelt the thing with a multitude of clumsy swings. 
“We can't stay here, guys!” another, equally fear-struck voice called out before me.
Zack was his name.  He was our hastily appointed leader, ever since the invasion began. 


“Over there!” he shouted.
I watched him wave to something.  I followed his gaze to see another group of survivors; five at least.  They were waving back, the nearest taking aim at the area below him and firing with a weapon of some sort.
“They have guns!” Nikky called out through the chaos, “Food, too, I bet!”
With that, we were on the ground.  I was the last to hoist myself down from the house rooftop as Nikki and Zack started for the street.  More of the mangled, torn monstrosities quickly advanced at taking notice of our bold move.  I swung my weapon, an aluminum baseball bat, at the attackers.  The end connected with an oily, blood-soaked head, causing a man of mid thirties to fall over with a labored groan.
“Goddamn Ragers everywhere!” Zack shouted while madly flailing a frying pan around him.
I watched him take two steps before a group of three suddenly tackled him at once, bringing him to the ground.  I wordlessly charged for him, weapon in hand, clasping both hands around the handle of my bat.  I brought the weapon down upon the back of the nearest man, causing a sickening snap.
“Get up!” I commanded him while swinging at another. 
Zack scrambled to his feet, tripping another Rager in the process.  I shot a brief look of conviction to Nikky before all three of us broke into a desperate sprint for the other rooftop.


“Little help down here?” I shouted to the people above as we approached.
They were upon us now; attempting to grab at our clothing and hair with clammy hands, biting at our arms and legs with chipped and broken teeth.  The others upon the roof took fresh notice of us.  Gunfire rang out, several of the attacking mass falling to the floor in a bloody pile.  I kicked at the nearest threat, then cast a gaze upward once again.
“Climb!” a young girl called out from above.
I watched her heave a long coil of twisted, splintered rope from the top, it cascading downward to the ground.  Zack was the first to grab a hold.  This seemed to instill fresh energy into the stampeding horde, for I saw dozens of them appear behind other houses and shattered cars to our position.  Nikky was the next to go.  I watched her furiously clamor upward, her arms and neck slick with sweat. 
“Roy, get up here, now!”
I didn't know whom had shouted the message, nor did I care to find out.  I reached for the coil, quickly bracing my tired muscles, and climbed.  I watched three more Ragers below grab for me.  I gave them a quick shove of my legs before climbing up and reaching the rooftop.


Nikky let out a squeal of delight.  I merely remained collapsed upon the roof, my chest heaving with exhaustion. 
“We did it!” she breathed with joy, “I thought we were dead for sure!”
“We might as well be,” I shot back with intensity.
I could feel eyes upon me; from my comrades as well as the nameless people that had saved our lives.
“We just keep on living though,” one of the new survivors replied with commitment, “Nothing can seem to kill people like us.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment