Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

#62 - The Moon

It shimmers from the tops of the trees, setting the walls and rooftops aglow with weak and pale light. My back flattens against the nearest edge, nodding a thought of gratitude for it's assistance. I strain my eyes as my head falls upward. I reach within the side of my belt, drawing out two heavy items. I take one in each hand while searching the imposing wall before me. With the added light above, I quickly locate cracks in the masonry. I swing the right tool, then the left; taking pause only to shove my toes into the cold material. I repeat the motion, my trek upon the wall hastened by the ability to see more clearly than I was anticipating.

My head peeks just above the top stone. With quick, darting movements, I take in the surrounding area with wild eyes. A single man stands atop the structure, his body heavily-clad in boisterous armor. I wait for him to change direction, the muscles within my arms crying out to be relieved of their rigorous duty of keeping me silently aloft. The man turns suddenly, as if hearing something from the opposite side of the wall. Fear entangles my heart for only a moment, the control of many training sessions calming it like a mother's embrace. Deftly, I reach into my robe once again, my fingers closing around the hardened steel of a handle. I mutter yet another word of thanks to the above as I place the small weapon in my one hand. I knead my other palm against itself, a warming sensation evident upon the skin. As I spread the sticky substance across the length of the blade, my eyes focus back upon the man. He stood no more than a few clicks away, his buttocks jutting out a bit as he leans over the wall. I search him quickly; an exposed elbow, a strip of metal missing at the knee. I spot his naked fingers gripping at the barrier.

With one, final muster of strength I hurl the item within my hand. A small smile tugs at my lips as it strikes at the man's little finger, a slight yelp of surprise emanating from him. He turns around for a moment, as if to strike. Then, as if a switch turned within his body, he collapses.
“Hey!”
I bit down upon my lip while trying to look for a way to escape. A head turn to my right reveals another man, now steadily moving toward the fallen guard. How had I not seen him? Stealth was not an option as the cold steel of a broadsword was whipped in my direction. I rolled away from the assault, pulling out my climbing tools in desperation. I was not the fighter.
“Guards! A-”
The man seemed confused, as if forgetting what words he should shout to his comrades. I looked at him with wild eyes; an arrow hilt now protruded neatly from his sternum. It's purplish hue sent great waves of relief flooding through me.
“Pure Sterontium is not an easy metal to achieve in this part of the world,” I jeered with a tone barely above whisper.
“Neither is toxin from the Barrom Root.”
I would have laughed out loud if given the opportunity. I wheeled around, already knowing whom would grace my gaze. The imposing figure stood easily half a click taller than me, his smile set alight from the blessed light from the above.
“Selena,” he muttered, “I thought I would never see you again.”
All the adrenaline within me melted away in a moment. I ran to him, my tools threatening to give both of us away as they clattered to the floor. I cared little for them now.
“Arduin,” I answered, pulling the man in for a long-awaited embrace, “I'm ready to continue where we left off.”
We stayed like that for a moment, the cool winter air sending wisps of his hair to tickle at my neck.
“We certainly could use another member for the resistance,” came his reply, “I suppose you will want to be filled in as soon as possible?”
I merely nodded into his chest.
“I didn't expect any less,” came his response, “Welcome back, daughter.”

No comments:

Post a Comment