Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2011

#34 - The Nightmare

Ammo!” I screamed over the blasting shot being fired around me.
I remained positioned in a kneeling position, the Nightmare directly in front of us. Blobs of flesh and spikes, muscled and clawed arms, gnashing teeth, all quickly advanced on our position. Something cool was placed in my outstretched hand. I quickly gazed at it in amidst chaos for a brief moment moment; a fresh clip for my AK-47 Assault Rifle. I ejected the empty cartridge, it's clattering noise lost to the ripping of bullets around me. I slammed the thing in place and cocked my weapon, ready to attack.
Cole, they're too close!” Annette cried from my right.
I briefly ignored the warning as I opened fire upon one of them. It was taller then the others; long purple appendages resembling arms jutting from it's fat center. Wet sloshing sounds of ripping tendons and skin was combined with the noise of my rifle. The thing let out a cry and fell to the ground with a wet slap.

“Everyone, on me!” I called hoarsely while standing.
The firing halted for a moment as I dove over the barricade we had erected. I felt the eyes of the Nightmare on me as the others quickly joined to follow. The nearest let out a gurgling cry of what I could only describe as anger. The tone sounded somewhere between a horse whinny and glass shattering.
For the exit!” I barked my next order while continuing to fire at the oncoming onslaught.
I fired at a few key targets blocking the door of the area, to freedom. At seeing the nearest of them ooze to the ground, I rammed my back to the wall.
Under me! Go! Go! Go!” I shouted while holding the gun at my shoulder.
Bullets continued to spray from my gun as person after person crawled beneath me to the open door.

Suddenly, something grabbed at my left leg. I called out in pain as I felt the thing squeeze impossibly tight, then attempt to drag me towards the encroaching mob of darkness. I began firing wildly, feeling my balance being swiftly torn away from me. Then, as quickly as it had occurred, the wet tongue-like protrusion slackened it's grip upon me. I looked down to see it resting beside my booted foot.
Thanks, Ann,” I called out, already realizing my savior as she stood beside me.
Cole! Go!” she called out, pointing her head to the door, “I'll cover you!”
I quickly looked to the door to see the civilians standing outside in wait. With one fluid movement, I darted out into the darkness of night.

I spun around to see Ann's situation. She was slowly edging out the building, occupying the massive Nightmare with shot after shot. Her weapon, a pump-action Remington 870 shotgun, clicked with an empty chamber.
Shit!” I heard her curse while expertly placing the gun in it's holster upon her back and pulling out two 9mm pistols.
Ann, get over here!” I ordered harshly.
Working on it-”
She broke off as she let out a cry of pain. I watched in horror as a spike of unholy bone now protruded from her shoulder. She fell to the ground, the mass quickly advancing upon her.
No, dammit!” I half shouted, half cursed under my breath.
I jumped into action. I ran for Ann with every last ounce of energy I had left and grabbed a hold of her. With one, fluid movement, I gripped the bony spike, ripped it away, and lifted her. While cradling her unconscious body in my arms, I quickly ran from the growling and groaning beasts.

“Servo, take a grenade off my belt!” I shouted at the broad-chested civilian standing fearfully beside me.
The Nightmare was a mere thirty yards away from us.
What?”
Take it off and throw it at them!” I screamed as Ann's weight pressed down on my arms uncomfortably, “just do it!”
He quickly unlatched one of three grenades I had secured to my belt and stared in the direction of our advancing enemies. He pulled the pin, seeming to be in a trance. He was hesitating.
Servo! Throw it!”
It left his hand as he lobbed the thing as hard as his adrenaline-laden muscles would allow. I could hear it clang as it hit the ground.
Take cover, everyone!” I cried while picking my feet up in a run.

A small hunk of debris was my only immediate shelter. My knees smacked the pavement of the broken road as I hunched over, Ann's body pressing against me tightly. The sound ripped through my eardrums, followed by the noise of monstrous agony. I continued to press Ann to me as pieces of bleeding flesh struck my back and head, the area growing an eerie quiet around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment